Time flies, they say, when you’re having fun, so I must be having loads of fun!
While it seems just like yesterday I caught everyone up to date with one of my—ahem!—“quarterly” check-ins, a look back at the files tells me it’s been quite a stretch. Better late than never, so here goes with a quick overview of what’s been going on in the life of this King Monkey, both personally and professionally. (And don’t worry if you’re new to this forum, there’s no hard selling going on – just good clean fun and information!)
Where to begin? There’s so much to say, to keep it manageable (and the length tolerable), I’ll give you just a monkey’s eye view from high in the canopy.
A lot of what’s transpired for me personally has come out in dribs and drabs through social media and my blog, so if you follow me on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, my Monkeyz Business blog, or at my BarrelOMonkeyz web site, you probably already know that in the 2012 I returned to San Diego, my old college stomping grounds.
This turned out to be the right move for me on many fronts.
- Back in familiar territory, I immediately felt at ease with where I was, what I was doing, and where I was headed. I got involved as a marketing and business mentor for San Diego Sports Innovators, which offers mentoring, education, and connections for start-ups in the Sports and Active Lifestyle industry.
- Following a second successful back surgery, I was able to get back into beach volleyball, hiking, trail running, and enjoying nature — not to mention beer, food, and being in San Diego.
- I met the future Mrs. June, Sara Larkin, in 2012. We got engaged in March 2014 and were married that summer. Without a doubt, it’s the best move this King Monkey has ever made . . . and I’m not just saying that! Sara is my best friend, wife, and business partner all rolled into one—and she’s also the mother of the newest addition to our monkey family!
- At 6 pounds, the littlest (but not the baldest) June, Leland (“Lee”) joined her ecstatic parents on November 24, just in time for Thanksgiving (we had lots to be grateful for!). I thank the Lord every day for our little blessing. When you get to see the world through the eyes of a child, every day is new and wondrous and full of possibility.
- And in just a few days, I’ll be taking my first week-long vacation in five years to spend some time up north with the family. A little recharge of the batteries does a body (and mind and spirit) good.
The last time many of you heard from me, I was still looking for a C-Level marketing or product development position in southern California. Opportunities abounded, but none were really the right match for me, so at the beginning of 2014, I decided to re-brand Barrel O’ Monkeyz with a focus on consumer products, interactive design, social media, and the digital space.
Part of the re-brand was transitioning BOM from my original concept to provide services through a “virtual” structure of freelance talent into a boutique firm with employees that now makes it possible for me to offer clients a higher level of personalized care and feeding.
I was also able to bring aboard the aforementioned “Mrs. June” to partner with me on this new phase of BOM as the firm’s account manager. Aside from sound advice, she helps keep me on-target, on-time, and on-task. The majority of our clients are established firms or start-ups up to $20 million in size.
Believe it or not, Barrel O’Monkeyz has now been around for more than six years! Did I mention that time flies?
I’m also stoked and excited to announce that I’ve got a book in the works (a little something to do in my spare time). It will tell my story and the Barrel O’ Monkeyz story with humor, insight, and lessons learned for entrepreneurs, business owners, executives, and all the other assorted King (and Queen) Monkeys out there! Needless to say, details will be forthcoming as we get closer to publication.
LOOK ME UP
If your travels bring you to SoCal, look me up. We’ll grab a beer, I’ll introduce the wife and kiddo, and we can catch up! The weather is bound to be sunny and dry—one of the few benefits of this drought—so a walk on the beach is a definite possibility.
Even if your travels are more virtual in nature, drop me a line, text me, or connect with me through social media. I’d love to hear what’s been going on in your world.
Until next time, take care and God bless.
President / King Monkey
website – www.barrelomonkeyz.com
blog – www.monkeyzbusiness.com
Tel: (424) 218-9734 | (310) 503-1149